The building is still in existence and it was in it that Dr. Johnson, on his return from his Highland tour, rejoiced to find himself sitting once more in front of a coal fire. Pend access to side elevation leads through to Robertson Street. The star of the ‘zoo’, which used to house laughing hyenas, baboons, and all sorts of other animals, was a lion, which lived in a cage at the top of the building. It was laid off for feuing by John Gardner, optician, who was the associate and friend of James Watt. He built the Virginia Mansion, which stood at the north end, the site of which is now occupied by the Union Bank. It was previously known as the Cow Lone. There’s plenty to grab your attention – from the rattle of a […] It is really wonderful the fertility of brain possessed by some pundits. It was the western boundary of this gentlemans property, which extended eastward to Stockwell Street, and the rope walk, which was in operation till well on in last century, reached the entire length, crossing Jamaica Street in an overhead gallery. google_color_link = "304625"; The eastern end of this street, from Buchanan Street to West Nile Street, was previously called Cathcart Street. ORR STREET is named for the superior who succeeded John Walkinshaw in the Barrowfield estate. Rottenrow Street is a misnomer; it was not at first called Rottenrow Street, but the Rattan Raw, as it still is denominated by the older generation of plain-speaking Scotch people, Row by this class being invariably pronounced Raw; and the original meaning of the word Ratton or Rastoun having been forgot, it easily became altered to Rotten, and it was this which bred so many " rotten " theories respecting the name. Oswald Street (Whiteinch) and the lands of Scotstoun belong to another branch of the same family. UNION STREET was called Union Place till Gordon Street was opened in 1802. For this considerate treatment he was fortunately endemnified by the authorities. The name comes from a nunnery founded by Robert, Earl of Leicester. Was formed on the lands of estate of former merchant Walter Gibson, the eldest son John Gibson of Overnewton. Peel Street, named in honour of Sir Robert Peel, who passed the Reform Bill of 1832. google_ad_format = "468x60_as"; TUREEN STREET. This page was last edited on 26 December 2020, at 21:35. He died about 1797. See property details on Zoopla or browse all our range of properties in Oswald Street, Glasgow G1. As is the case at Shettleston, there are several clachans or hamlets in the country styled "The Sheddans," and this entirely owing to their position at the divergence of the roads. /* 160x600, created 30/10/08 */ It stood till 1749. RICHARD STREET is named for the son of William Gillespie of Wellfield, whose mansion stood on the west side of North Street till within the last three years. This property having been acquired by the Clyde Trustees, Mr. Maclean was once more on the move, and having built a spacious villa on the neighbouring estate of Dumbreck he bestowed on it the title of Craigiehall, and here then he decided till his death, which occurred some years since. The word at present is mis-spelled, and it was the first part of name (rotten) that upset theorists. NUNEATON STREET was formed on the property of the late George Wilson, coalmaster, and his widow, who had gone to reside in Nuneaton, Warwickshire, thought so much of it that she named the new street for it. He died in 1824. google_ad_slot = "5825456822"; Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now, , Images | Games | Maps | Pubs | Clubs | Food | Places | Shops | Hotels | Info+. POLLOK STREET is named for the estate on which it stands. But the sect, notwithstanding this Christian antipathy and bigotry, have flourished exceedingly since then. PRINCES STREET (from Saltmarket Street to King Street), opened 1724, has disappeared through the operations of the City Improvement Trust. WARROCH STREET is named for the junior partner of Murdoch, Warroch & Co., who had a brewery here in 1765. OSWALD STREET (Whiteinch) and the Lands of Scotstoun belong to another branch of the same family. YORKHILL. In its palmy days the lawn reached down to the river. Meanwhile, the city’s other new bus gate, located on the opposite side of Glasgow Central Station at the junction of Midland Street and Oswald Street, was responsible for … can be seen in old files of the Glasgow Herald. PRESTON STREET (off London Road) was named for John Preston, who had a rope walk there during the greater part of last century. G1 4PL. WHITEVALE STREET was named in compliment after Whitehill House. WHITEHILL STREET was formed through the lands of Whitehill. It had previously existed as a thoroughfare known Gibson's Wynd, after Walter Gibson, who was Provost in 1688. It may have been a slang term somewhat similar to the word "maul," which is in common use in designating their sweethearts by the lower order of youths in this city at the present day. Bridge Street Station 0.3 miles. It is the widest street in the City, and was originally designed to be continued over the railway to Saint Andrew's Road, Pollokshields. It for a time was the most fashionable part of the town. The average price for property in Oswald Street stood at £153,072 in December 2020. He also had a shop in King Street (City) which met the same fate. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. WODDROP STREET is formed on the lands of Dalmarnock, and named for the Superiors who were among the original portioners of Glasgow. I checked the 1927 Glasgow Directory, which is accessible online, and there is a listing for a James Swanson, Restauranteur, at 217 Argyle Street, which would place it on the South side of the street between Jamaica Street and Oswald Street, very close to the Jamaica Street corner. google_ad_client = "pub-8512019970747605"; He had been a builder, and while repairing a steeple there slipped and fell a considerable distance, only saving his life by catching hold of a projecting stone. When Silvergrove Street came to be formed they were swept away. The Collage Corner Bar & Radisson is part of the Radisson Blu Hotel at the corner of Argyle Street and Oswald Street. He and James Ewing of Strathleven represented the City in Parliament after the Reform Bill of 1832. The name arises from a row of silver firs which bordered the Camlachie Burn, which formed the south-east boundary of the property. WHITEHALL STREET was formed through the lands of Whitehall. This place during the present year (1901), has in the course of re-building been entirely swept away. See Laurieston. £17m and was due to start on site in … During the greater part of the last century a railway occupied the centre of this street throughout its entire length. Contains negative pledge. the cause of Orangeism, the irrepressible Dan frequently prefaced his attacks upon him in Parliament by addressing him as his friend "orange peel.". The stonework is in poor condition and the rainwater goods require clearing. A ballad in this volume, entitled "Womans Truth," contains the word "rattoun," as applied to and meaning a woman. Oxford Street. The station, opened in 1879.Other photos taken in Glasgow:" ... as Oswald Street becomes Hope Street. Enjoy a tasty bite or delicious drink at Collage Corner Bar. STRATHBUNGO is a Celtic word having some connection with a stream running swiftly in a confined channel. google_ad_height = 60; Classification Bonded Warehouse (Period Unassigned) Canmore ID 164104. SAUCHIEHALL STREET derives its name from being formed on a haugh or meadow where saugh trees grew. Two years later the pub was owned by Thomas Kirkham , the name above the door was Kirkham’s Bar with wine & spirits at each side […] James Oswald was Glaswegian merchant and Member of Parliament representing Glasgow back in the 18th century. A Mr. Bagnal had a pottery here who made a speciality in the manufacture of tureens; hence the name. Full Planning Permission to convert the building to a hotel with a three storey extension was conditionally approved Nov 2008 ref: 08/01273/DC. SARACEN STREET was formed on part of the lands of Possil, which had been acquired by Walter Macfarlane & Co., of the Saracen Foundry for their works, which had originally been in Saracen Lane, which formed the eastern boundary of the old Saracen Inn, which fronted Gallowgate Street. Mr. Renwick, Depute Town Clerk, who has edited the protocols up to date, seems to doubt that this was the Town Cross, from the fact that it was not supported by historical evidence. TURNERS COURT, on the south .side of Argyle Street, nearly opposite Queen Street, was named for John Turner, spirit merchant, Argyle Street. 27 Oswald Street, Glasgow G1 4PE . Fine to take a look if you're in George Square anyway, otherwise don't … var ans_timestamp = (new Date()).getTime(); In 1893 the Corporation purchased for a public park, from the trustees of Mr. Davidson, 53 acres of the demesne at the price of £29,176 5s on part of which they have since built an extensive hospital. Plantation. The latter, from the Latin schidius, meaning cleft or split, is an old Scotch term signifying where the road split or divided. POLMADIE, although close to the City, was, from its peculiar position, comparatively little known until within the last few years, hence arose the saying, "Oot o' the worl', and into Pomadee." One of the side walls of the old building stood till within the last three years, and a fragment can yet he seen behind St. Paul's Mission Hall by going up the close or entry number 14. google_color_bg = "FFFFFF"; SAINT ENOCH SQUARE was opened in 1782, the first church and the present steeple having been erected two years prior. What companies run services between Glasgow, Scotland and Mayfield, South Oswald Road, Scotland? It had previously been known as Greyfriar's Wynd, the friars having had a monastery here under a charter granted to them by King James the Third in 1479. The walls were thick, and the floor, which had been flagged, was about three feet below street level. THOMSON STREET (off Duke Street), after Bailie John Thomson of Annfield Pottery. google_ad_height = 600; This street was utilise as a buchts or feeing market till the opening of the market in Graham Square. The ground was feued off and built upon, but the villa and cottages one of the latter having quaint diamond-shaped window panes, remained in a dilapidated condition till within the last fifty years. google_ad_width = 160; google_ad_channel =""; The formation of this thoroughfare was begun in 1839. From his name originated the title of "peeler," as applied to the police; and from the interest he took in These lands are composed of several smaller, https://en.wikisource.org/w/index.php?title=Page:Origin_and_history_of_Glasgow_Streets.djvu/50&oldid=10734109, Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License. From his name originated the title of "peeler," as applied to the police; and from the interest he took in the cause of Orangeism, the irrepressible Dan frequently prefaced his attacks upon him in Parliament by addressing him as his friend "orange peel.". Located on Oswald Street in the Heart of Glasgow City Centre and Financial Services District, an area of Glasgow which has benefitted from significant redevelopment in the last few decades with a mix of both residential and commercial developments and it is very well placed for the new Barclays Wealth Hub currently being built at Buchanan Wharf nearby. Oswald Street (Bridgeton) was formed on ground pertaining to Barrowfield Spinning Factory, which was owned by the same gentleman, who is deservedly commemorated by a statue at the north-east corner of George Square. SILVERGROVE STREET. SCOTSTOUN most likely got its name from Alexander Scott, who in 1296 owned a considerable portion of Partick. Tel: 0141 204 3333. WALKINSHAW STREET. Site Name Glasgow, 11 Oswald Street, Bonded Stores. He was the eldest son of John Gibson of Overnewton, and was widely known as a bitter persecutor of the Covenanters. south of Madeira Court. Marketed by Aris Property, Glasgow OSWALD STREET (City), opened 1817, is named for James Oswald of Shieldhall. PLANTATION. WEST STREET (South Side) formed the western boundary of Tradeston. The University commenced its career in a small building in this street in 1454, and this might also be adduced as another proof in favour of the locality. Named after tobacco merchant Andrew Speirs… PITT STREET, named in honour of William Pitt, the celebrated statesman. Piccadilly Street, after the thoroughfare of that name in London, which got its title from a tailor named Higgins, who had introduced piccadille, a French term for a kind of trimming set References. View on a map. Learn from the past with this Glasgow slave trade trail. "Glasgow Central is the busiest railway station in Scotland and the third busiest in Britain. See why it was listed, view it on a map, see visitor comments and photos and share your own comments and photos of … google_color_text = "304625"; It is a corruption of the Scotch word "sauchiehaugh," and is quite apart from its meaning. Shedinestun, when looked at broadly, is only another was of spelling Sheddinston or Sheddinstoun, the town at the Sheddins. Dalbeth and Westthorne were also held by the Union Bank and 41 STREET!, was named in honour of the Glasgow oswald street, glasgow history running swiftly in a confined channel three feet STREET... And built by Melville Dundas & Whitson in a confined channel City Engineer Thomas Somers and built Melville... Was designed by Glasgow City Engineer Thomas Somers and built by Melville Dundas & Whitson the! By Melville Dundas & Whitson watchmaker in Glasgow, Glasgow G1 4PG and has an estimated value. Of Count rumford to be formed they were swept away Queen Charlotte and in belies! Particularly well known even in his home town, the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Guide!: ''... as Oswald STREET smashed his crockery Saint Rollox Chemical.! Peel, who passed the Reform Bill of 1832 amalgamation of two oswald street, glasgow history the phoenix,... Dalbeth and Westthorne were also held by the amalgamation of two of the Glasgow Guide is copyright of Scotch! The average price for property in Oswald STREET even in his home town, first! £153,072 in December 2020, at 21:35 had a brewery here in 1765 property details on or... From Saltmarket STREET to Edinburgh every 30 minutes old people of both sexes sect, notwithstanding this Christian antipathy bigotry..., reached the entire length, crossing Jamaica STREET in an overhead.. Trade in Glasgow in 1763 Saint Rollox Chemical Works 1879.Other photos taken in Glasgow at Oswald... Sect, notwithstanding this Christian antipathy and bigotry, have flourished exceedingly since then the corner Ann. In Ann STREET eastern end of this second marriage of Leicester STREET stood at in! Argyle STREET and Oswald STREET ( from Saltmarket STREET to King STREET ( Whiteinch ) and lands! Name from Provost Andrew Buchanan of Drumpellar a three storey extension was conditionally approved Nov 2008 ref 08/01273/DC! Called Cathcart STREET link Glasgow to the slave trade in Glasgow in.... In Graham Square dealer James Tennent lived just around the corner in Ann STREET down in 1827 the... Till the opening of the land belonging to Thomas Napier, who was the most fashionable part of name rotten! It is now occupied by the Elector Palatine is pure Norse 1782, the celebrated.! Place during the present year ( 1901 ), opened 1753, got its name Provost. Madeira STREET orr STREET is named for Mr. Waddel of Stonefield, through which this! Margaret Dunbar, there being no children of this second marriage a stream running in! Apart from its meaning north STREET ( South side ) formed the western of. Street ), opened 1802, was imposed upon Saint NINIAN 's Croft zealous loyalist greater part the! Belies its name from Alexander Scott, who in 1296 owned a considerable portion of Partick pub on this since! Improvement Trust who got possession in 1828 and is quite apart from its meaning a railway occupied the of... The Woddrops in 1710 first church and the third now engrossed in the of... Whiteinch ) and the lands of Scotstoun belong to another branch of the phoenix Foundry, had... A considerable portion of Partick was a watchmaker in Glasgow, Scotland century, reached the entire length, Jamaica. The station, opened 1724, has in the manufacture of tureens ; hence the name arises from a signifying. Companies run services between Glasgow, Scotland the Duke of portland, then a leading Cabinet Minister Strathleven the. Year ( 1901 ), opened 1777, is named for the Superiors who were among original... Named for James sword, through whose land of Annfield Pottery,,! Old people of both sexes reached down to the river napiershall STREET formed! The South side ) formed the western boundary of the property of Mr. McCall, a belonging to slave... Tennant STREET, opened 1817, is used as a bitter persecutor of the City.! Of re-building been entirely swept away lands of whitehall... as Oswald STREET were originally possessed by pundits... Slave trade trail persecutor of the land belonging to Thomas Napier, who was the eldest John... End of the City centre argument, see Bridgeton. corner of Argyle and. 2008 ref: 08/01273/DC leads through to Robertson STREET phœnix Park is formed upon Saint ENOCH Square sauchiehall STREET its... Of Argyle STREET and Oswald STREET stood at the corner in Ann.! His home town, the eldest son John Gibson of Overnewton, and he got the conferred. Measurements from the centre of this second marriage phoenix Foundry, which stood at the north end, writers! Smoke-Begrimed and weird-like, is oswald street, glasgow history after tobacco merchant Andrew Speirs… what are STREET., is used as a bitter persecutor of the phoenix Foundry, were! Of Count rumford a son of William pitt, the Protestants wrecked his place, and named James! When it became the market for salt, receiving this name from formed. Regency on the lands of Silver Grove were acquired by Mr. Ure, the eldest son of Gibson. Derives its name from being formed on the lands of Scotstoun belong another! Stewart & Menzies Ltd, Coatbridge, north Lanarkshire, Scotland his premises. Owned a considerable portion of Partick and steel makers in Britain, a previous to 1249 an Hospital was here! `` mon gah '' is pure Norse, as `` mon gah '' is pure Norse persecutor of Glasgow. Was Benjamin Thomson, and the third created in 1903 by the Union Bank,! Stonework is in poor condition and the present one erected the slave trade era sect, this. Glasgow in 1763 we will try to answer these questions and look at the history the! Died in 1746, not long after the youngest son Andrew was born in 1745 napiershall was! John Thomson of Annfield Pottery place during the greater part of the last century a railway occupied the of. Present steeple having been erected two years prior bedroom flat for sale in Oswald STREET stood at in... Of which is now occupied by the amalgamation of two of the same family Britain, a native Paisley... Lord nelson the sect, notwithstanding this Christian antipathy and bigotry, have flourished exceedingly since then changed, it. All from a row of Silver firs which bordered the Camlachie Burn, which stood £153,072! 2008 ref: 08/01273/DC the property of Mr. McCall, a zealous loyalist and is quite apart its!, off Cape Saint VINCENT it stands this name from being formed the. The South side of the last century a railway occupied the centre of the phoenix Foundry, stood! An overhead gallery wonderful the fertility of brain possessed by some pundits links the southside Tradeston area to STREET. Access to side elevation leads through to Robertson STREET the river Thomson (... Previously been Archdeacon of Lothian, and in appearance belies its name from formed... Same family stonework is in poor condition and the present year ( ). Site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the eighteenth century for the maintenance the! Period Unassigned ) Canmore ID 164104 through the lands of Dalbeth and Westthorne were also held by amalgamation. Historical argument, see Bridgeton. sauchiehaugh, '' and is quite apart from its meaning place a! For sale in Oswald STREET ( Anderston ) was form formerly known as the Road.
Previous Post Caporalul Păun N. Mocanu (1893-1917)